HOW TO BUST THE TOP 5 EXCUSES TO GETTING HEALTHY AND FIT
“I don’t have time”
– everyone has the same 24 hours in the day
– you make time for what is important to you
– figure out: what you want, how bad you want it, and what you are willing to sacrifice to get it
– write it down!
– join a group or team up with a friend to help hold you accountable
– figure out how you spend your time and where you waste time using a time management log
–for FREE tools and resources to track time and set goals, go to :http://www.sagegrayson.com/ and download the free kit
“I have let myself go and have so much to overcome I feel overwhelmed and paralyzed” ( or some variation of that )
– again, identifying where you are at now and where you want to go are crucial to success: determine your goals fist and write them down
– next, reverse engineer the goals: break the larger long term goal into smaller action steps to do weekly and daily. When you see the big picture broken down into small daily steps it will seem more doable
– small steps done consistently over time will get you to your goal
– find a support group or accountability partner to be with you for the long haul
– It’s never too late to start making a change in your life. Change is hard, but once you’ve reinvented yourself and reached achievements you never thought possible, you’ll wonder how you managed to live any other way!
– start off with small daily WINS — aim for the smallest change that empowers you to feel like you are moving forward and winning
–for a GREAT BOOK and free resources on small steps everyday: The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy
“I tried everything and nothing works”
– this is a tough one because it requires you to take a good hard look at yourself and if you are being 100% honest with yourself, likely you have “tried” many things but either not stuck with them long enough to see change or didn’t follow the plan correctly
– the key is you can’t “try” the latest and greatest product or program looking for a quick fix
– you must decide, COMMIT, and stay consistent with it until you succeed
– there are a lot of options out there but anything promising a quick fix or something too good to be true will not work
– persist until you are consistent is crucial
– sometimes you do need a little help staying motivated and persisting: this is another area where hiring a coach/trainer or joining an accountability group can be the missing link to your success
– if you have been yo-yo dieting all of your life, likely your metabolism is broken and things you “try” won’t work. You must learn to be a detective of your own body and figure out what will work for you.
–An excellent book on this is: Lose Weight Here by Dr. Jade Teta and check out Dr. Nina’s website “Win the Diet War” for her book and online video course to have victory in this area forever
“I know what to do but I just can’t find the motivation to do it”
– the bottom line here is: your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same
– losing weight is hard, maintaining your weight is hard, being overweight and unhealthy is hard: choose your hard!
– take some time to identify your “why”: why do you want to get healthy and fit?
– identify internal and external motivators to wanting to change
– external motivators are outside circumstances that are affecting your life. For example: higher insurance premiums and high co-pays for doctor’s visits and medicines, spending more money on clothes and accessories because you don’t like the way you look or how they fit, an event or vacation coming up, seeing yourself in photos, physically keeping up with your kids/grandkids, etc.
– internal motivators are drivers that come from within: lack of self-confidence and self-esteem, feeling bad about yourself, feelings of anxiety and depression, feeling out of control, guilt, shame, constantly being on a diet, etc
– ask yourself if any of these motivators strong enough to drive your choices so that you move closer to your goals
– if you don’t have goals or know what is motivating you to want that goal, you won’t be motivated to start or finish strong
– create a VISION BOARD outlining all of your goals and motivators or at the very least write them in post it notes or cards and display them everywhere you need a reminder
– once you have set goals and identified your why, surround yourself worn people who will build you up and support you
– spend less time with people who tend to derail you and distract you off course
– listen to motivational and educational podcasts, go to your podcast app or itunes and search key words that pertain to you
– again, find a coach or group who will move you toward your goals (do you notice a common theme here?!?)
– use your phone to your advantage by finding an app for coaching, goal setting and or setting alarms/reminders
-check out the book: NO MORE EXCUSES by Brian Tracy to supercharge your motivation and bust excuses forever — if time management is an issue, this is available on audio!”
“I can’t afford to eat healthy or join a gym”
– healthy eating is a matter of choices. Take note of what you spend your money on as far as food AND drinks, and eating out. Take note of what foods you buy that have little to no nutritional value. Likely you will find where you can reallocate funds or stop buying certain things to free up that money for healthier options
– check out Aldi’s and Marc’s for great produce and bargains
– watch ads and local farmers markets
– put the money that you normally would have spent on junk food, pop, cigarettes, specialty coffee drinks and fast food into a jar and watch it add up
– Google “eating healthy on a budget” and see what comes up!
– you don’t have to join a gym just start moving! Walking is free!
– check out free fitness apps like SWORKIT! and SWORKIT KIDS
– You tube is another great source
– check your local library for fitness DVDs– they can also be purchased inexpensively Walmart or Amazon. Go to www.collagevideo.com to view a segment of 100’s of workout videos before buying
– INVEST in your health and you are more likely to not let excuses #1-4 get in the way of your success. If we don’t have any skin in the game we tend to not follow through, make excuses and blame others
– if you need help choosing a program to invest in, invest in a coach, gym or trainer or fill out the small group coaching survey on my website
Let’s talk nutrition!
Do you know about THRIVE MARKET?
Thrive Market is like Sam’s Club/Costco for organic foods— discounted prices! You can get the top organic foods for 25-5-% off and sometimes more, shipped right to you. No more going to several different stores to search for products! AND THE BEST PART: you will become a part of the THRIVE GIVES initiative: for every membership purchased, Thrive Market gives a membership to a low income family, teacher, or military–LOVE!!
CLICK ON THIS LINK TO CHECK OUT THRIVE MARKET!
If you want to get to know the CEO of Thrive Market a little better, check out this podcast: The Model Health Show episode #136: Making Healthy Food Affordable for Everyone with Gunnar Lovelace. (subscribe vie itunes or go to your podcast app on your phone)
Join on of my monthly small group coaching bootcamps !
Complete the small group coaching survey to join!
Stay tuned for more helpful blog posts coming soon!